Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Cut down to size

Okay, this has ceased to funny - it goes under the title of "Officially embarassing" now. After coming back to this site once every couple of days for what feels like the past month, with ever fading hopes of finding a comment, I guess its time to give up the ghost on that last posting. Although this is a site for my own satisfaction, and all I want to do is have my own shout at the sky, I guess it would have been nice to see at least a couple of comments. Cant expect a full house on the first show, I guess, or at least not in the blogger world. Although I still cant put my finger on what went missing on that first post. It had all the elements - secrecy, comedy (albeit in a very Chaplinesque manner), pathos, and now, to add to the list, tragedy.
The past few days, I've come dangerously close to having to do work. Very close shaves, in fact. Finally had to settle for some cut and paste to appease the powers above and show some effort - does that count as work? I'm getting bossed over by somebody who's about as old as me and, I regret to say, just about as smart. Makes me wonder - has the Peter Principle already applied to me? (For those of you not in the know, the Peter Principle is an all-too familiar concept in organizations which states that individuals grow within the organization up to the level at which they become incompetent and stay there. I read this in the Economic Times some time ago, and I had to insert it in somewhere as a tribute to its creator - its such a beautiful idea.) Anyway, getting back to the my having reached my flood levels within the company - I sincerely doubt it, but it's a scary thought, isn't it? The very idea that you have to stagnate at some level and you are good for no more - we all have the innate belief that we will rise and grow forever till we retire - or pass on, whichever comes first - and I, for one, cannot accept what will probably turn out to be reality. What would it be like if evolution suddenly turned its back on us, because we are now Prime Examples of the Peter Principle?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home